What if I told you that just sitting and relaxing does wonders for your body? Inside an infrared sauna, you can. In a matter of only 25 minutes! Under heat, sweat is one of the body’s ways of getting rid of toxins. Mix that with infrared light, and you are adding numerous other benefits on top of that. This is healthy healing through heat!
What is infrared light?
Infrared light is part of the electromagnetic spectrum. The electromagnetic spectrum is made up of different radiation frequencies, from gamma waves to radio waves. Infrared light is naked to the eye, but we feel it through heat. Everyday objects emit these waves. The sun or a fire are the strongest sources of these waves from the spectrum. However, infrared light does not contain the harmful UV rays that accompany unprotected sunlight.
The sun has emitted infrared radiation on the earth and all the living organisms on it for billions of years. All living things have evolved to use this radiation as an important environmental factor. Water molecules in the atmosphere absorb a lot of the emissions from the sun before it reaches the earth’s surface. With the human body being made up of 70% water, it can absorb a large amount of infrared light that can potentially regulate biological processes.
How it works
Infrared light as therapy is nothing new. Ancient therapists have applied sunlight as treatment to relieve pain and heal wounds. Infrared light includes wavelengths between 780 nm to 1000 μm. IR is divided into different bands: Near-Infrared (NIR, 0.78~3.0 μm), Mid-Infrared (MIR, 3.0~50.0 μm) and Far-Infrared (FIR, 50.0~1000.0 μm).
In the Sunlighten 3-in-1 Infrared sauna, a combination of wavelengths allows the light to penetrate different layers of the body and treat different tissues.
- Near-Infrared: This is the shortest wavelength, closest on the electromagnetic spectrum to the visible eye. When delivered to the body without extreme heat, the near-infrared wavelengths promote skin renewal, cell health, wound healing, and tissue growth.
- Mid-Infrared: This is a longer wavelength that produces a moderate amount of heat. These wavelengths can penetrate deeper into the body’s soft tissue where inflammation occurs and speeds up the healing process.
- Far-Infrared: This is the longest wavelength which produces the most heat. The far-infrared wavelengths can penetrate deepest into the body. This is where toxins are stored.
A combination of all three wavelengths has shown to provide maximum therapeutic benefits to the body.
Proven benefits of infrared light
- Detoxification: Sweating is completely natural and one of the body’s ways to detox. However, not all sweat is made equal. In traditional saunas, 95-97% of sweat is made up of water with the remaining being salt. In the Sunlighten Infrared Sauna, 80-85% of sweat is made up of water with the remaining consisting of toxins and heavy metals.
- Immunity and Cell Health: Raising core temperature increases white blood cell and T-cell production in the same way a fever would. In the Sunlighten Sauna, core body temperature can rise up to 3 degrees. Studies have shown that consistent use significantly reduces episodes of the common cold.
- Pain Relief: Heat penetrates joints, muscles, and tissues, increasing circulation and speeding oxygen flow. Infrared saunas have proven relief from sports injuries, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, arthritis, and other chronic pain conditions.
- Weight Loss: Studies show maintaining a healthy weight increases lifespan. As core temperature increases, the body has to work to cool itself. This increases heart rate and metabolic rate. One session can burn up to 600 calories.
- Relaxation: Stress impacts the body more than many people realize. It increases anxiety, impairs memory, increases blood pressure, and can even decrease the amount of neurons found. The Sunlighten Sauna helps the body maintainhealthy levels of cortisol, reducing stress and helping the body physically and mentally.
- Blood Pressure: The Sunlighten Sauna reduces both systolic and diastolic blood pressure and helps maintain a healthy heart. It reduces the inner lining of blood vessels increasing circulation. It even aids in diabetes and cholesterol levels.
- Circulation: Increasing body temperature through heat produces an increase in blood flow that produces the same effect as cardiovascular exercise would. Increase blood flow and circulation will also ease aches and pains, loosen tight areas, and relieve muscle soreness.
- Anti-Aging: Rejuvenate and tone skin. The Sunlighten Sauna has shown to reduce wrinkles, reduce acne, increase elasticity, smoothness, clarity, and more. Near infrared waves target the superficial layers on the body purifying skin.
- Wound Healing: Skin protects our body from foreign substances and fights infection, so it is important it heals quickly when injured. Near infrared light promotes faster cellular regeneration and tissue growth.
- Muscle Recovery: Increasing muscle mass has heaps of benefits from increasing metabolic rate, lowering injury risk, and making movement patterns easier. It is not uncommon, though, for muscles to ache a couple of days after exercise. Circulation occurring in the sauna increases the rate oxygen gets to the muscles and speeding their repair.
- Autoimmune Disease: Infrared therapy can relieve symptoms of many autoimmune diseases such as lyme disease, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, fibromyalgia, hashimoto’s disease, and graves’ disease. It does so by increasing the circulation around joints, penetrating muscles, and relieving soreness on nerve endings.
What to expect
Sessions inside the sauna will be 25 minutes long. Double up sessions for a longer treatment if you wish for more time inside the sauna. You will be provided with towels and privacy. For more details, visit our webpage. Enjoy the relaxing and healing benefits of infrared light therapy!
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a non invasive treatment to promote healing in your entire body! Tissue needs oxygen to function and when tissue is damaged, it needs even more in order to heal. Putting your body under pressure allows for blood to absorb oxygen more efficiently and carry it through the body faster than it would be able to under normal atmospheric conditions.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy has been proven to treat air or gas embolism, carbon monoxide poisoning, crush injury, compartment syndrome, decompression sickness, restricted blood flow, significant blood loss, soft tissue and bone infections, skin grafts and flaps, thermal burns, and so much more. Not only can it help heal tissue, but it has also been proven to treat mental illnesses such as insomnia, anxiety, and more!
At San Diego Personal Training, enjoy a relaxing 60 minute treatment in the spacious chamber and start stimulating new growth throughout your body! Whether you are dealing with a specific injury, head trauma, or just a nagging ache and pain, hyperbaric oxygen therapy can help you!